Dozens of refugees 'left on the streets' in Westminster for two nights

Suella Braverman has been asked to “urgently clarify” why a large group of asylum seekers were “left on the street” in Westminster for two nights running.

About 40 refugees were placed in the borough on Wednesday night “without appropriate accommodation or support available” and no prior communication with the local authority, according to Westminster City Council.

The group apparently refused to enter a Pimlico hotel where the Home Office had asked them to sleep “four people per room”.

On Friday morning, around 20 people were camped outside the Comfort Inn in protest at the cramped conditions inside and asylum seekers remained outside the hotel on Friday afternoon.

The group briefly stood in the middle of the road – Belgrave Road – blocking traffic, before being escorted to the pavement by Met Police officers.

The leader of the council expressed his “deep concern” in a letter to the Home Secretary and said the Government’s demand created “safeguarding and health risks”, and noted that “leaving them on the street for multiple nights is not an alternative”.

The Home Office reportedly asked a group of refugees to be accommodated four to a room outside the Comfort Inn hotel on Belgrave Road in Pimlico

In his letter he wrote: “Neither the Home Office nor the hotel itself responded to this incident, ultimately leaving it to council officers to manage and support this large group overnight.

"I would ask that you urgently clarify how this was allowed to happen, why this was acceptable, and why no communication was made with the local authority to alert us.

Speaking to TalkTV's Richard Tice, one asylum seeker Dia said the hotel smelt and and the rooms were "very small" for four people.

"They want to put four people in one room. That's not fair."

Dia said there had been 2 people per room in bigger rooms in the hotel they were transferred from in Ilford Essex.

He added that one of the asylum seekers had to go to hospital because he had been cold and sick after waiting in the road for so long.

“I note that the issue is still unresolved and, as of Thursday evening, all 40 asylum seekers remain on the street. This is not acceptable.

“It is not right, nor is it in the interest of these individuals – or our residents – to have them forced to endure a night on the streets because their transition into new accommodation has not been properly managed.”

Rough sleeping teams have been supporting the refugees, according to the council, which claimed the Home Office had not put forward any resolution to the matter.

A Home Office spokesman said: “Despite the number of people arriving in the UK reaching record levels, we continue to provide accommodation – at a cost of £6 million a day – for asylum seekers who would otherwise be destitute, to meet our legal obligation.

“The accommodation offered to asylum seekers by providers, on a no-choice basis, is of a decent standard and meets all legal and contractual requirements.”

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement