Dramatic footage captures moment e-bike battery explodes in Sydney hostel

Dramatic new footage has captured the moment an e-bike battery exploded near two travellers in a hostel room in Sydney.

Video obtained by Fire and Rescue New South Wales (FRNSW) shows the moment the Lithium-ion battery caught fire and it is suspected to have been sparked by a faulty e-bike battery left on charge.

FRNSW deployed 22 firefighters and six fire trucks to Darlinghurst Road, where the blaze had broken out in a unit shortly after 9am.

Security footage from a hallway shows one of the French nationals standing at the doorway and talking to their friend, who was still inside the room, when a device suddenly explodes into flames.

Both men made a desperate dash to safety before attending nearby Kings Cross Police Station to seek assistance.

One of the men, aged in his 20s, sustained minor burns to his leg and was transported to St Vincent's Hospital for further treatment.

Another 70 people were evacuated from the building, while the surrounding streets were shut down to enable emergency response.

Fire crews managed to contain damage to the one unit before extinguishing the blaze a short time later.

FRNSW duty manager Grant Rice thanked the hostel's management for getting people out safely. 

"We had everyone evacuated out of that property very quickly, which did help firefighters gain entry and control that fire very quickly," he said.

"With backpackers in that area, they're not always English speaking, so management actually helped Fire and Rescue keep those people out and they'll be out for some time."

Experts from FRNSW's Fire Investigation and Research Unit (FIRU) are working with NSW Police to investigate the circumstances surrounding the incident.

FRNSW said it had attended 149 reported battery-related incidents in 2023, a 16 per cent increase so far from last year.

Of the 149 incidents, 22 per cent involved micromobility devices, such as e-bikes and e-scooters.

Watch Jeremy Kyle and Nicola Thorp on TalkTV’s brand new breakfast show, TalkToday.