Tommy Robinson pepper-sprayed by police as he is arrested at march against antisemitism to prevent 'alarm, harassment and distress'

Tommy Robinson was pepper-sprayed by police as they arrested him at an antisemitism march in London.

Mr Robinson, 40, was detained by dozens of officers near the Royal Courts of Justice, from where the demonstration began on Sunday, after march organisers said he would not be welcome.

The political activist was still in police custody on Monday morning and published a video on social media of his partially closed eyes after officers used the synthetic pepper spray.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: “The arrested man resisted as officers attempted to put him in handcuffs. He was warned repeatedly before PAVA spray was used.

“Following its use, officers gained control of him and handcuffs were applied.”

In an earlier statement, the force said organisers had “been clear about their concerns that the man’s attendance, and that of those who were likely to accompany him, would cause fear for other participants.

“The same view has been voiced by others. As a result, he was spoken to and warned on more than one occasion that his continued presence in the area was likely to cause harassment, alarm and distress to others.

“He was directed to leave the area but refused to do so.”

Mr Robinson said he attended the march as a journalist and denied causing alarm or distress to others.

In other footage from the day, he can be seen criticising a Sky News journalist for the outlet's profiling of pro-Palestinian figures.

He said: "I am here to do my job as a journalist. Your reporting of this conflict has been an absolute disgrace.

"You have taken the side of Hamas - you push propaganda from Hamas. The figures you use are from Hamas. Don't tell me I'm a disgrace."

On Armistice Day he was seen among crowds of counter-protesters who clashed with police and earlier this month he revealed his intention to attend the march.

Tommy Robinson just before being arrested.

Tommy Robinson surrounded by police during arrest.

Tens of thousands gather for antisemitism march in London.

Organisers Campaign Against Antisemitism said: “No thanks. The drunken far-right thugs who came to ‘protect the cenotaph’ on Armistice Day, some of whom shouted ‘Sieg Heil’ or hospitalised police officers, are most definitely not welcome.”